Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Make your own: Bird softie

I've always loved the idea of making cute softies but somehow never get round to actually making any.



The little bird I made for my wire coat hanger was my first try at making one from scratch (if you exclude the "voodoo doll" I made for the mini art journal challenge).
I got a bit carried away and made quite a few more, I just couldn't decide which fabrics I liked best and also wanted to make some with some beautiful african wax fabric I bought off a friend of mine. Now I'm still trying to figure out what to do with them all, I've got a few ideas...
Here's the tutorial for anyone who would like to make one at home. (excuse the terrible photos, I only sew at night at the moment!).

You will need:
- two pieces of contrasting medium weight material
- two buttons
- a piece of felted wool
- something to stuff them with (I used fabric scraps from my overlocker!)

1- Print out the pattern. Make sure it is to scale or whatever size you want it. Seam allowance is 1/4".

Click on this picture and print out.

2- Cut out fabric. Use the felted wool to cut out the wings.

3- Place the wings on the sides where you want them, them place the buttons where you want them to hold the wings. Sew using the button setting on your sewing machine.


4-Sew the top part to one of the sides, starting from the beak, wrong sides together. Repeat with other side.

5- Sew the bottom part to one of the sides, starting from the tail this time, wrong sides together. Repeat with the other side, leaving a 2-3" gap in the middle so you can turn the bird inside out when you're done.


The bottom should be sewn up to where the beak starts.


6- Sew the two sides together at the beak.


7- Turn the bird inside out. Stuff it well, so it keeps its shape. Sing a song, you're done!



No comments:

Post a Comment